One of many disgusting insects to look at would be roaches. Keep in mind that there are a variety of roach species. In this case, we are discussing wood roaches. Most homeowners look at a roach and assume it is just that. Unfortunately, various types of roaches require different ways to exterminate them. So, depending on the species of roach will determine how you get rid of them. How to get rid of wood roaches? The easiest way is by laying out a specific glue board that will attract the wood roaches and catches them.
Let’s take a look below at some more details regarding wood roaches.
What Are Wood Roaches?
Believe it or not, wood roaches are a little different from the American cockroach. Their bodies look similar, however, they are a bit smaller. Let’s take a look below at some distinguishing features that separate the wood roach from other roach species.
- The length of a wood roach is about an inch to an inch and a half long.
- Wood roaches have flat, oval-shaped bodies, spiny legs, long antennae, and brown bodies that are very similar to an American cockroach.
- Adult wood roaches also have a cream-colored stripe on the outer edge of their bodies.
- Male wood roaches can fly long distances, however, female wood roaches have smaller non-functioning wings.
- Wood roaches’ body color is a tan color that allows them to blend in with the natural color of the wood.
How Can I Prevent Them?
Preventing wood roaches from getting into your home can be a tricky deal. However, just like keeping any other insect out of your home, it requires you to take the necessary precautions. Let’s take look below at what are some of the steps that you can take to prevent wood roaches from showing up.
- Turn out the lights – During mating season, male wood roaches are attracted to light and will fly right for it. Additionally, female wood roaches love the porch or yard lights and will fly towards them to meet up with the male wood roaches.
- Seal all cracks and crevices – Just like any other insect, wood roaches can easily access your home via open cracks and crevices around your stucco, doors, and windows. Be sure to make any repairs necessary to close up the cracks and crevices.
- Firewood storage – Keep all piles of firewood away from the home and elevated off the ground. Only have firewood in your home when you are about to use it.
- Quarterly pest control – Be sure to have your local pest control team spray the necessary chemicals to keep wood roaches away from the home. This should be done every quarter to ensure the chemicals are fresh and working as a barrier.
- Repair leaks – Wood roaches are attracted to moisture. If you have pipes that are leaking, the excess water will attract wood roaches and any other insects to your home.
- Keep the yard clean – Make sure that you remove any excess yard waste from around your home. Wood roaches love to hide in rotting leaves.
- Removing dead roaches – Makes sure to remove any dead roaches carefully. The decaying roaches’ bodies smell and will attract other insects to your trash can. Make sure that all trash bags are sealed tightly so that other insects don’t show up to consume the roaches’ bodies.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you are aware of how to get rid of wood roaches and keep them away, this might be a great time to ask your local pest control company how to get rid of roaches from your cabinets. Roaches love to hide in cabinets, so knowing this information is important.
Next, having a clean house with roaches in it can be rather frustrating. Reach out to your local home pest control team to find out why this is happening. Most homeowners are great about keeping their homes clean to avoid having insects appear.
Lastly, if you are looking to compare treatment plans for insects, be aware of how long your termite treatment plan lasts. You wouldn’t want to have over-lapping treatment plans between your termites and your wood roaches, or other insects.
When Do I Call A Professional?
Choosing the right pest control company is not always an easy task. You will want to ensure that you find a reputable company that is using eco-friendly products that work to keep your home and family safe from insects and rodents. Once you have found a reputable pest control company, hire them to protect your home from roaches and other annoying insects.
Dealing with any insects can be a pain. No homeowner gets excited when they see roaches running around their kitchen cabinets, closets, walls, or floors. Hiring a pest control company to keep you and your family safe from roaches is important. Roaches can carry diseases and bring a nuisance to your home. Call on Inside and Out Pest Services in Jacksonville, FL, and surrounding areas to get your pest inspection done today.